Hi everyone and happy Friday (13th)! I am sitting here writing this and trying to kill some time waiting for my cat to come back in from the garden so I can take her back to the vet again. She is still not well and has been very sick (multiple times) so we have to go back for further investigation. You might wonder why I let her outside instead of taking her there ASAP but she needs to take care of some business outside before we travel in the car or it would not end well for any of us! So now I have to wait for her to come back so we can head off and get her checked out. Meanwhile, I have a journal spread I did last night, completely unplanned while I was thinking about other things and just looking at all the stuff that was lying around on top of all the flat surfaces that I really wished were clear. In an attempt to clear some of it at least, I decided to bite the bullet and use a piece of something I’ve been saving for a while. It was this piece of wrapping paper that came wrapped around a birthday gift from a friend a few years ago. She always finds the best paper!
I thought it would be perfect for the August challenge over on Art Journal Journey which this month is Type as it looks like an old newspaper. This month’s theme was chosen by this month’s host, the lovely Neet. I carefully cut out a piece to cover my journal page and pasted it down. Once it was dry, I thought, now what?
I really didn’t have any ideas until I spotted more leftover stuff and decided to try and incorporate them somehow. These are leftovers from a Life Book class from February I think. It was Laly Mille’s class on Art Flow Journalling Cards, and I had some offcuts left over from cutting out the cards. You can see my set of cards in this post if you’re interested. Once I decided to use these cards, I coloured the background to match them.
The page is coloured using Neocolour IIs and I was trying to match the colours on the cards even though they were painted with Daniel Smith watercolours, but I think I got a pretty good match from the Neos.
I edged the cards and the page with Vintage Photo archival, and then found some words to add to each card.
After they were glued in place, I edged them with a black pencil and then glued the cards on to the page.
I added some random dots and splashes with a white paint pen to finish off the page.
So for the Type challenge I have the type from the “newspaper” gift wrap and then the type from the found poetry on the cards.
Let me know what you think in the comments. As always, thanks for reading!Ingredients
watercolour paper, my usual journal, gel medium, wrapping paper, neocolor IIs, archival ink in vintage photo, found poetry, black pencil, white paint pen, leftover art flow cards,
You might also like . . .