Hello Friends and happy Tuesday!

Today’s post is one to share with Elizabeth and Bleubeard and the T Gang over on Altered Book Lover’s site as it is Tuesday and due to illness, I feel like I missed quite a lot of August, but in reality probably not as much as it seems.  As the weather has been so unusually pleasant, I have been able to sit out in the garden and enjoy the plants that are normally being battered by wind and rain around this time but instead this year are all flourishing.  So I thought I would share some photos of the garden…

The apple trees are managing to hold on to their apples so I am hoping for a good harvest.  This particular apple tree is an Egremont Russet, my favourite apple.  They are considered to be a type of dessert apple. They have a rich, nutty flavour and crisp, firm and fairly juicy flesh. They are a Victorian apple, first recorded in 1872, and is believed to have been originally raised by the Earl of Egremont at Petworth in Sussex, UK.They are smallish brown/green apples with russeting (the brown parts) on the skin.  They can be hard to find in supermarkets and usually appear in the shops after Halloween.  My mum always referred to them as Halloween apples.  They tend to be grown in the South of England, and don’t like the cold, but mine are doing OK here in the usually frozen north lol.
My plum tree was quite badly damaged in some stormy weather last year but even with the damage it has produced a nice crop of plums this year! This is a Victoria Plum tree; I had ordered a Japanese Plum tree but they were out of stock and substituted a Victoria Plum, I wasn’t so sure about it at first but it produces a reliable crop of excellent plums.  Usually by this time of the year though, most of the plums have ended up on the ground and been eaten by snails but since we’ve had such nice weather, these plums have managed to stay on the tree and are just about ready for picking.

Next to the apple trees, I have a Rosa Rugosa, also known as a beach rose, which is native to China and other parts of Asia.  It is a little bit of an invasive plant but it has beautiful pink, scented flowers and now it has these enormous rosehips, that are about one inch in diameter.  I am planning to collect them when I feel up to it and maybe make some rosehip syrup with them.  Like everything else this year, it has grown very well because of the good weather, so I will have to give it a bit of a pruning when I feel a little better.

The rest of the photos are of the butterflies on the buddleia (butterfly bush), again this poor tree is usually battered by wind and rain at this time and I never get to see butterflies enjoying it so much as they are now.  There were countless numbers of multiple species on this tree, it’s unfortunate that my camera couldn’t capture them all. I tried to take photos showing multiple butterflies but although they were plain to see with the naked eye, they just didn’t show up on the photos.  There was a really big Peacock butterfly that I was following around as it flitted from flower to flower but it wouldn’t settle long enough for me to capture its photo, so what I ended up with was a lot of Red Admiral photos as they were in abundance and seemed to stay put for longer.

Red Admirals like the one below were in plenty, along with Peacock butterflies, small Tortoiseshell, and Cabbage Whites.

Even with tattered wings this poor thing was still able to fly about and enjoy the buddleia.

And since it’s Tuesday, I have some tea to share, and a little chocolate…

These were from Christmas, I received them all as gifts and put them away after Christmas and forgot about them!  It was a nice discovery, all this lovely tea and a big chocolate letter E.  I really like the box in the middle, the one with the birds on it, and I might have to do something with it, maybe add it to a journal page or something.  But first I will have to drink all the tea!

Hope you enjoyed the photos from the garden, let me know what you think in the comments.   As always, thanks for reading!Ingredients

T Stands For Tuesday – T stands for  apples, plums, rosehips, butterflies and tea  You might also like . . .

25 thoughts on “Apples, Plums, Rosehips, Butterflies And Tea

1. Shoshi says:

A great garden post, Elle! I don’t kow what variety our apple tree is. Your plums look amazing. We bought a plum tree this year and it’s not looking too healthy – I think it’s holding its own, and we’ll have to see how it goes next year. My parents used to have a plum tree and supplied us with many pounds of plums for our freezer! I adore them. We also have rhubarb which has done pretty well this year (new plants last year). One of my favourite combos is rhubarb and strawberry. I’ve got a very nice crumble recipe for that.

Shoshi x

Hi Shoshi, my plum tree has been battered for years so it doesn’t look great either but it still produces lots of plums. What seems to happen with the poor thing is that every year the branches are heavy with plums, then the rain and wind arrives and it gets battered, branches break off etc. This year is the first calm year it has had poor thing. We are on our second crop of rhubarb here, the first was in March, and now the main crop around August. It will have to be frozen, there’s so much of it!

2. Spyder says:

Love the plums. I remember plum picking as a child, nothing better! Our apple tree is in a big pot. It used to have three types of apples on it but only one survives now. They are small but nice and sweet. :Love the little yellow bookworm reading critter you have by your books. Sorry so late. But I guess it’s better than not turning up at all! Happy T day…on a thursday! ((Lyn))

I had to go back to the photos to see what little reading critter you meant. I forgot that was in the photo! It’s actually a cat reading a book, I will take a better photo of it. It came with the tea gifts.

3. C.J. says:

Your garden is so beautiful. How nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy the beauty. The butterflies are amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many different types. That chocolate E would never have survived past New Year if it was at my house! Happy T Day

4. KAREN says:

Beautiful pictures! The beach rose plant that I remember from NY had tons of tiny thorns and was very invasive too. Your fruit trees, butterflies and teas are all a visual delight. Enjoy!

5. Carola says:

I think it’s fun to find those gifts again, you probably already had forgotten about them. I enjoyed your photos from the garden, it seems that you’re having a good harvest this year.
    Happy T day!

6. Jo - Let's Art Journal says:

Wow, your fruit trees look amazing with all that fruit! So lovely when it’s homegrown ?. Those butterflies look so pretty, we haven’t seen as many here this year so I was delighted to see all those visiting your garden. I’d love to try that tea too, I bet it’s delicious – Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

7. Linda K says:

beautiful garden photos!!! Love the butterflies. Sorry to hear you haven’t been well. I hope you’re feeling much better now. Happy T day!

8. Lisca Meijer says:

Hi, me again,
    I forgot to comment on those gorgeous butterflies. I think you did really well, as butterflies are notoriously difficult to photograph.

9. Lisca Meijer says:

Hello and happy Tuesday to you too!
    What a lovely garden you have! Such abundance of fruit. Like many, I had never heard of that particular apple. We bought an apple tree from a market vendor, but he wasn’t able to tell us what kind of apple it was. So I suppose we’ll have to wait and see. Then we got some from the garden center that were unmarked and were told they were ‘Grannies’. (They leave out the Smith bit here in Spain).
    I love to see your gifts. Without a doubt they were bought in the Netherlands. The chocolate letter is a typical treat for Sinterklaas on the 5th of December, and the tea with the bird on it reads (in Dutch)’Blue Nightingale evening mix with licorice, camomile and lavender’ and something else which I can’t read.Anyway, how could you possibly forget you had such a lovely gift!
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

10. Valerie-Jael says:

Lovely to see your fruit trees, and the buddleia with so many butterfies. Sorry to hear you were ill, and hope you are now feeling better. Happy T Day, Valerie

Wow, Elle. Your fruit trees are happening this year. How wonderful. I don’t know about the plant that has the rose hips, but real roses with hips need to be pruned in early spring. I learned that from a master gardener who showed me how, where, and when to cut back my rose bush.

You have a beautiful butterfly bush. It has sure lived up to its name this year at least. You have hosted a plethora of butterflies.

You got lots of great tea gifts for Christmas. I can’t believe you still have that incredible E and haven’t eaten it yet. You will certainly have to test all those teas and tell us which you prefer in future T Tuesday posts. Thanks for sharing your fruit trees, your butterfly bush, and your teas you got at Christmas with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

Thanks Elizabeth, yes I know I couldn’t believe it either. I had put some Christmas things away in a box but forgot to take the edible items out, and then discovered them now, which was a nice surprise.

12. Sharon Madson says:

Thank you for the chocolate and tea. I also thank you for a peek at your fruit trees and butterflies. A beautiful post for T Day.

Wow Elle. Your fruit trees look like they have a wonderful crop this year. I haven’t heard of the Egremont Russet, just plain old russet apples. We are getting into apple season too, and I hope to go picking some weekend soon. Nothing is better, so you must really enjoy your fresh picked apples and plums. Yum. And even though your butterfly bush might be a bit battered, you have so many butterflies. Wow. Enjoy. Those are beautiful butterflies. I hope you enjoy your finds in the kitchen too (Or I think kitchen). Enjoy your tea and chocolate. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Thanks Erika, yes the Egremonts are a special old variety, not many are grown, definitely not where I am, but they are my favourite so I had to get a couple of trees when I decided to plant apple trees. I still haven’t picked the plums and I really need to get that done before the weather changes.

14. mae says:

You are so lucky to have a plum tree! The local plum crop here was badly harmed by winter and spring cold snaps, so we don’t have many good ripe ones from the local market, and don’t have any fruit trees in our garden.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com