Hello everyone, happy Tuesday!  I hope you are having a good week so far.  It’s very cold here and I have joined the kittens in hibernation mode!

today’s art . . .

Today’s art is another journal page for Day 9 Art Every Day Month and for the current theme over on Art Journal Journey which is All kinds of Weather, and was chosen by this month’s lovely host, Chris from PearShapedCrafting.

It was inspired by all the piles of Harris Tweed that are currently surrounding me as I sort through useful sized pieces to make that throw I mentioned back in September.  I hadn’t done much about it since then but it’s really cold now and the heating is still not working, so a lovely tweedy throw sounds like a good idea about now.

Some of the teeny tiny pieces are no good for that but I remembered that I had this Sizzix bird die and the cover image is a Tweedy bird (I was so tempted to call this post “A Tweedy Bird” btw but I will save that for another day) so I got the die out and did some cutting.  It’s not a great thing to do with this kind of Tweed as all the tiny little woollen fibres get everywhere when it is cut – all over the die, all over the table, all over me, up my nose, in my eyes, in my mouth, everywhere!  As soon as I was done, I had to drag out the vacuum cleaner and try to get rid of the worst of it.  Meanwhile I prepared my background by adding scrunched up tissue paper to my journal page…

Once it was dry, I painted it with a Light Blue Neocolor II and some water to make it look like an icy winter blue sky.

Then I used another Sizzix die to cut some tree branches using an old amazon box, and glued them down to the page.

Then I added the birds to sit in the branches of the leafless trees. I thought about adding snow to the branches but decided the weather was too cold for snow so left them alone except to add some shading with a Stabilo.

The birds are loosely stitched together just to hold all the pieces in place and then glued to the page. The gold beads were stitched in place for the eyes. This one’s legs are wonky (or maybe he’s dancing) but that just adds to his charm, right?

I wrote out the words of the poem onto three pieces of white card and placed them on the page.  The poem Birds in the leafless trees are singing by Louis Untermeyer (1885-1977) is as follows.

The winter winds were swift and stinging,
The day was growing old and dark;
And yet within the icy park
Birds in the leafless trees were singing.

Somehow the cold was not so clinging,
And homing people stopped to stare
At all the brave hearts clustered there —
Birds in the leafless trees! And singing!

Yes, Spring is sweet with new songs ringing,
And Summer’s pageant moves all men;
But my heart leaps to Winter when
Birds in the leafless trees are singing.

t stands for . . .

…these tea themed gift ideas I found in the supermarket last week.  I had two of them in my trolley before I even realised it.  I put them back though as I decided to was far too early to be thinking about the dreaded C word or shopping for gifts, but I’m sure I will regret this and they will probably be gone when I want them!

If you missed any November AEDM posts so far, check them out in the slider below.

Let me know what you think in the comments.   As always, thanks for reading!Ingredients
my handmade journal, watercolour paper, black pen, white card, glue, matte medium, tissue paper, black stabilo all, Neocolor IIs, Sizzix bird bigz die, Harris Tweed, Sizzix bigz branch die, amazon box cardboard, gold beads for eyes, thread,

Art Journal JourneyAll Kinds of Weather November Challenge

Altered Book Lover – T Stands for – tea-related gift ideas

Art Every Day MonthDay 9
LeighSBDesigns Art StampsFalling into Winter Hop+Challenge – November 9th

Funkie Junkie Challenge BlogLiving Things – November challenge
Creative Artiste – Challenge #77 – see ingredients for list of products used

You might also like these November posts days 1-8 . . .

Thanks for visiting today. Your comment is really appreciated.

28 thoughts on “Birds In The Leafless Trees Are Singing

1. Laura says:

Wonderful journal page! I LOVE all the texture! Thanks for joining us for the Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge!

2. Janna Ketchum says:

Wonderful journal page! The birds are just darling. Thank you for joining the Funkie Junkie Challenge!

3. Judy McKay says:

Beautiful. Love the textures and colours. Very inspiring. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see your beautiful art when we return in February. Happy Holidays. Judy DT

4. stampersuzz says:

Love that you made your birds from the fabric! They are striking! Thanks for playing along with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

5. Nan says:

This so invokes the feeling of a cold winter day! I love the bare branches and those marvelous tweedie birds (I had to do that! 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing the poem! I love it and agree with it about the winter song birds!

Your tweedy birds are fabulous. I really loved seeing them come together. That tissue background was smart, too. The scene (and poem) were perfect for Chris’s theme at Art Journal Journey.

I agree it’s too early for the C word, but those gifts looked perfect and from what I understand, retailers are having trouble getting items on the shelves this year. I thought they were great for T Tuesday gifts (grin). thanks for sharing your art and the tea gifts for T this Tuesday, Elle.

Thanks Elizabeth, yes I am thinking the same thing, supply chain problems abound here, so I might have made a mistake not grabbing them when I saw them last week. If they are still there this week I will get some. There was another nice one that had tea and fudge and lemon biscuits (cookies), no photo of that one though. Nice little stocking fillers for the friends I mail to.

What a fabulous journal page. I love how you took the tweed fabric and used it on the birds. It looks perfect!
    I love the little tea gifts. The pink tea cup is my favorite.

8. C J says:

Pretty page. Love the birds. Oh, I like that tea gift. I’ll have to keep my eyes open. Go back to the store and buy them now. You won’t find them later. Happy T Day

9. Carola Bartz says:

Your tweedy birds are fabulous! I loved how you created the icy background – it looks really cold! Your creativity is amazing and every time I read one of your posts I feel I have learned something (today it’s how to create an icy background). Thank you for that.

10. Linda Kunsman says:

Love, love your tweedy birds- the layers of colors and textures are super!! I never thought to use dies to cut fabrics- I’ll have to try it;) And the poem is so lovely …
    I can see that buying some of these tea sets as gifts would be so tempting right now. Perhaps if you really want any for someone special I would get them sooner rather than later. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

This is a great page for cold weather Elle. Actually a great post with your hot tea too. I’ve wondered about these birds using the wool plaid, and I love them. You used them well my friend. Thanks for sharing this at AJJ also. Have a great AEDM day 9, and happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

12. Kathyinozarks says:

Good morning, I am in love with your journal art-you have inspired me to get back to my fiber art soon. Very beautiful I love your background and the birds-sentiment
    Happy T hugs Kathy

13. Nancy Williams says:

Those birds are wonderful! Wow! Your background and poem is fab too. Wonderful art, Elle!!!! Thanks for sharing the process.

Super looking tea – you might want to go back and get them now. Christmas is just around the corner and things may be harder to find this year.

Happy T-day!

14. Elke says:

I am excited about this design of your page! the background and the birds are wonderful crafts, i love i!!!
    the poem is beautiful and the tea gift boxes!
    Have a good week, hugs, Elke