Hello friends and happy Sunday!
Yesterday I made these star ornaments based on a video Birgit Koopsen did for Michaels/Gelli Arts where she made similar ornaments to these using masking tape on the gel plate and then attached them to cards.
I made mine differently and you can read about that in yesterday’s post.
today’s art . . .
Today I made the cards for the ornaments to go on. This is my Day 14 offering for Art Every Day Month. I made seven ornaments yesterday so I made seven cards today. These are all monoprinted cards using a gel plate. I love my gel plates and I would use them a lot more if I had a gel printing station but since I don’t have enough room for that, it’s always such a chore to drag it out and set everything up in a clear space. Today I dragged one of them out and cleared some space on my table so I could work. This one is about 5.5 x 11 inches I think, and it was the right size for the cards I wanted to make. I cut my cards down to 5 x 6 inches, I didn’t want them too big but they needed to be big enough for the ornaments.
I basically followed the video for these backgrounds, except I used Prussian Blue Hue and Indanthrene Blue for the sky and Titanium white for the snow ground. I think Birgit used Prussian Blue. Then I added white splatters using white acrylic ink (Birgit used a white Posca). Then I made holes for the eyelets and added gold eyelets using a setting tool. (This is an old one I have for fabric but it works just as well with card.)
So then the cards are supposed to be finished, you just tie on your ornament and you’re done, but I was thinking if people do remove the ornaments then the cards are very plain without them and I felt that they needed something else. So I made this template out of waste card so I could add very basic Christmas trees to my cards so that there would be a focal point when the ornaments are removed. I used a bright green paint pen to draw and colour in my trees.
The tree shape is just a basic triangle so you might be wondering why I needed to make a template. The reason was that I wanted to splatter my trees with gold ink and I didn’t want to get the gold anywhere else, so the template would take care of that problem, plus it meant that all my trees would be the same size.
So here is the card with the ornament attached.
And when the ornament is removed, you have the tree.
Here are six of the seven cards I made today, the seventh one still had wet ink on it so I couldn’t attach the ornament for the photo and it was already getting dark at 4.30pm so I couldn’t wait any longer – I hate taking photos under lights. I love Photoshop but I don’t want to spend all my time fixing photos. If you missed any November AEDM posts so far, check them out in the slider below.
Let me know what you think in the comments. As always, thanks for reading!Ingredients
Ornaments: amazon box, masking tape, acrylic paint, gold acrylic ink, baker’s twine, Cards: 300gsm white card, acrylic paint, gold acrylic ink, green paint pen, gel plate, gold eyelet, eyelet tool, waste card for template,
You might also like these November posts days 1-13 . . .