I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to enter this challenge and get my card submitted in time for the deadline, but look – I made it! So here is my entry for the Altenew September Inspiration Challenge #AltenewChallenge.
Here is the image for the fall inspiration challenge – how could I resist!
Overview of my project and process
I have a few “autumnal” leaf stamps and dies from other companies, but none from Altenew and I did want to use some of my Altenew stamps and dies in this layout, so in the end I decided to use the leaf cluster from the Build-a Flower Rose dies. This might seem a bit weird but I was sure it would work if it was coloured correctly. I took a sheet of watercolour paper and die cut as many of these leaves out of it as possible.
I used my Altenew watercolour pan set to paint all of the die cut leaves – as I was going to use them in a few projects, I divided them up and painted groups of them in different colours. The leaves and letters for this card were painted with Autumn Blaze, Purple Wine, Deep Iris, Cosmic Berry and Grapevine watercolour and set everything aside to dry while I worked on other elements.
Once the watercoloured leaves were all dry, I went over them with a dark plum Polychromos pencil to add highlights and leaf veins. I decided to add the Leaf Burst stencil to the background and then heat emboss it with Vintage Beeswax embossing powder. I also used turquoise liquid acrylics to add some paint splatters to the background and when it was dry, it was time to start assembling my project. I used the negative piece from the bold alpha cutouts as my first layer, then added a piece of the lemon watercoloured background as my second layer. Then I arranged the FALL letters on top and stamped HELLO above the A. Then I adhered the lemon panel to a Plum card base and began arranging the leaf clusters until I was happy with the result. After gluing them all in place, I added some Nuvo drops in orange and rhubarb and then finally added some Wink of Stella to the leaves and other parts of the card.
Altenew – watercolour pan set, Build-a Flower Rose dies, Leaf Burst Stencil, Bold Alphabet dies,
Tim Holtz Distress Archival – ground espresso,
Prima Finnabair liquid acrylics – Turquoise, Magenta
Tonic – Nuvo drops – pumpkin, rhubarb crumble, Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive
Faber-Castell Polychromos Pencils
Wow embossing ink
Seth Apter – Vintage Beeswax embossing powder
Gina K Plum Cardstock
Wink of Stella
From Stash: previously inked background from my stash
The Challenge Rules (from the website) are as follows:
Make a card, a tag, a layout or any other project based on the inspiration photo above. You may use either the colors, the composition, the elements, the texture or any combination to create your project.
- Altenew products should be the focus, but other companies’ products can be used.
- Make sure to use our challenge image above on your blog post.
- Include a link back to the ALTENEW INSPIRATION CHALLENGE POST.
- When uploading your project, make sure you link your entry post, not your entire blog.
- Don’t have a blog? No worries! You may simply post it on Instagram, along with the challenge graphic above, use #AltenewChallenge and, of course, tag @altenewllc. Don’t forget to add a link to your Instagram post by clicking on the button below.
- You may enter as many times as you wish.
- Challenge ends on September 30th, 2019, at 11:59 PM EDT..
After the challenge ends, FOUR WINNERS will be selected. Each will receive a $30 gift certificate to spend at www.altenew.com.
Winners will be announced on October 8th, 2019.
Entered in the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
- You’re A Sky Full of Stars – A Very Large Mixed Media Card - June 2, 2020
- Happy Birthday – Ombre Heat Embossed Card - June 1, 2020
- Sunshine In A Bowl – Self Care and Gift For Friend - June 1, 2020