Happy Thursday wherever you are! I hope your week is going well and just think, there is only one more day of it left till we get to have a weekend! Today I am sharing this Haunted Halloween card which uses an old alcohol ink background from my stash, a paper bag and a chipboard from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. Here’s how it came together:
I took this alcohol inked background leftover from last year – you can see more cards made with similar inked backgrounds here. These dark ones were made with black and a lot of silver and when I was done, I didn’t know what to do with them all lol. Here they are:
There is quite a lot of silver on the backgrounds, probably a bit of overload, but look how shiny it is!
This background is a 5 x 7 inch piece of card so I cut a 6 x 8 rectangle from my green paper bag to give 0.5 inch border around it.
As my card was so large I had to make a larger card base from some black cardstock 6.5 x 8.5 inches which will give a 0.25 inch border around the green bag panel. It has to be cut from two pieces of 8 x 11 and glued together.
I glued the two pieces together and left them under something heavy.
I added some metallic copper splatters on both layers and edged the black card with the same paint using a paintbrush. This is a colour I am really enjoying using – it was something I mixed up from a few different paints and I’ve used it a few times now.
Since I like it so much and don’t want to waste it, I added the leftover paint to my art journal.
Then I painted the Haunted chipboard with some white acrylic to give it a good bright base for adding the embossing powder.
This is a Halloween card so what else could it be but Glow In The Dark embossing powder!
Time to assemble the card, making sure all the paint splatters were dry first!
Then it was time to add the Glow In The Dark Haunted word, and put something heavy on it to hold it in place while the glue dried.
And here is the finished card! But not without some stress at the end as my phone shut itself off (again) when I was just about to take the photos of the finished card so I had to grab a camera quickly and take some. Of course, the battery on that was low as I haven’t used it for ages, and that was flashing a warning at me all the time I was just trying to get one good photo in daylight and in darkness. The resolution on the camera is
inconveniently different to that of the phone so these photos are a different size! Grrrr
Here’s a close up of the heat embossing, two layers for this one, and what was really cool was while I was using the heat gun to melt it, the powder started glowing with the heat.
Then I went and stood in a dark corner so I could attempt to take a photo of the Glow In The Dark effect. Gotta say, it worked really well with the camera!
And that’s my first Halloween card done for this year. I’ve left this one next to a window to make sure it’s really charged up for a mega GITD effect tomorrow! Thanks for making it all the way to the end. Let me know what you think in the comments!
GSL Haunted Title Word chipboard BB2
metallic copper paint
glow-in-the-dark embossing powder, embossing ink
white acrylic paint
matte gel medium, white glue
From stash: alcohol ink bg, lime green paper bag
You might also like . . .
- Spooky Shadow Cats – Halloween Home Decor - October 22, 2020
- The Moon Looks Upon Many Night Flowers; The Night Flowers See But One Moon - October 16, 2020
- What You Seek is Seeking You – Art Journal Page - October 15, 2020