Morning! Happy Monday, here’s to a good week and I’m starting it off with this art journal page which turned out to be very surprising!
Still playing catch up with the class I took in the Spring but didn’t get through all the lessons at the time, and now I want to get my book finished and made into a book before the end of the year. This is how my book looks at the moment, and all my pages are loose inside it.
This page is very loosely based on the lesson by Rachel Grieg from Darkroom Door, but as usual I kinda went off in my own direction. She started by doing some journaling, covering it up with black, and then using one of the Darkroom Door stencils over the top. Then there was some colour added and then some Darkroom Door stamps to finish it off.
I started off with some journaling today – do not adjust your screen, I blurred out the personal bits in Photoshop 🙂
As I had used a stabilo to do my journaling, I activated it with water and that made it all blurry naturally without the aid of Photoshop haha
I have a couple of Darkroom Door stencils including the one that Rachel used (I used it here at the weekend) and I was going to use that one again, but then I remembered that I had started something with another one of their stencils, and never finished, so I dug that out of my stash. This is modelling paste on a 12 x 12 piece of paper and I can’t for the life of me remember why I did this but it was around the beginning of the year.
I carefully tore around the stencilled parts and then stuck them down on my page to dry. That was as far as I got before it was time to stop for dinner but it is looking kinda interesting…
So already I have gone off down a different road lol, but in the video some pigment powders were used and then sprayed with water. I don’t have those but I do have Brushos and Infusions, but I decided not to use either of them. Instead I used my Neocolour II crayons and scribbled them over the top of the modelling paste letters. Since they are raised, they caught the crayon quite well. Then I activated them with water and so now we have this:
So a funny thing happened while I was drying everything with a hairdryer… when it was upside down, the dark bit in the middle started to look like a head in profile. If you look at it the right way up (see above) it doesn’t but upside down it does! So I started to draw in a bit of a nose and outline where the mouth and the eye might be.
Then I went over some parts with my crayons and made them a bit darker.
As they are water soluble, I activated them and tried to blend them in a bit more.
I used some purple PITT pens to colour in her eye and mouth. The CREATE ART and INSPIRE words were left over when I ripped up the 12 inch piece as they didn’t fit in the smaller sized page, so I thought I would use them in the middle and at least have some words that are the right way up lol.
And that’s the finished page. I like how it turned out, and she looks like she is dreaming of all those inspiring creative words.
I can’t believe how different this turned out compared to the inspiration project. The original was very black in the centre, with stamped and fussy cut leaves and butterflies and a Be Brave quote. I managed to find a mention and part photo of it on Instagram for comparison.
Art Every Day Month – Day 23
My art journal
crayons, paint pens, Darkroom Door stencil and modelling paste (already done), polychromos pencils, PITT artist pens, stabilo all,
From stash: everything!
You might also like . . .
- Monoprinting Days 6 – Letters –Gel Prints for the #MarchPrintingChallenge - March 7, 2021
- Monoprinting Days 1-5 Gel Prints for the #MarchPrintingChallenge - March 6, 2021
- Pukka Tea Flower – Wherever You Stand, Stand Tall… - March 4, 2021