Hello again, hope you’re having a great day and the weather is being kind to you. I have this little (well actually quite large) tag to share with you, and a step-by-step showing how I put it together.
Click on the thumbnails for a closer look…
I was looking through my stash and waiting for something to leap out and shout “pick me, pick me” and it turned out to be this little steampunk seahorse chipboard that was calling to me to be featured. (This is a project that was created for a DT by the way.) So if I was going to use this little seahorse, what else could I put with it? I decided that I would use it if I could find some suitable words to go with it that were ready made so I didn’t have to go creating my own this time, and look – just what I needed was right there in these Finnabair stickers lol.
Since we are talking seahorses, I remembered this poor little guy. This one is made from a Stamperia mould which I made way back when I made this Augmented Octopus. I had left it sitting somewhere “safe” so it could dry safely and keep it flat, and then forgot it was there and dumped a pile of books on top of it, which snapped it in half. 🙁 So I thought I could fix him up and introduce him to his little steampunk friend on this tag.
After covering both seahorses and the tag with gesso, I pulled out some papers to make the background. Most of these I didn’t use but it is nice to have options right? The green paper on the left is awesome and is covered in seaweed and shells and even little swimming people, which would work with the “go deep” quote. The paper bag at the bottom is covered in thistles but they could pass for seaweed I’m thinking. Hmmmm…
I’m also using this bit of yellow nylon/ plastic? netting from some lemons I bought, and down the right hand side these little people from a Pukka tea box as they kinda look like they are swimming. Oh, what’s that other tag on the left? Well that’s another project as I was working on two at the same time but you will have to come back on the 16th to see that one!
On my table, I still have these tiny slivers of book paper from the August birthday gifts so I added some of them too.
I used some strong glue to adhere the plaster seahorse to the bottom of the tag and regular craft glue to adhere the chipboard seahorse to the top. The final touch was to add the word stickers and call it done.
The Finished Tag
This project is one that I created as DT inspiration for GSL.
So pleased with how it turned out and had fun making it. Super happy to have given my little broken seahorse a home with his buddy. If you love seahorses, here’s another little project you might like.
Thanks for making it all the way to the end. Let me know what you think in the comments!
So as I mentioned above, this was a DT post for this month but I was very conscious of some specific challenges which did influence my choices ie colours and steampunk cogs and gears. Here are those challenges…
A Vintage Journey – Cogs, Gears and Texture – layers of paint and waxes on the seahorses, both have cogs and gears, layers of texutre on the background also 🙂
Countryview Challenges – Complementary Colours – blue and orange/copper
Creative Artiste – Challenge #64 – multiple mediums
Sandee & Amelie’s Steampunk Challenges – September – steampunk seahorses
Steampunk Seahorse C15S
Super X Tag set D92C
Collage materials from stash – magazine papers, tissue paper, book pages, scrapbook paper, amazon packaging, Tesco fruit net etc
Stamperia plaster seahorse mould
Acrylic paint and waxes (various)
Finnabair word stickers