Another card to share and this one currently has no home to go to as yet but will be on display in my craft studio where I can look at it and smile.
The Finished Card
This is another easel style card, featuring a mixed media background, diecuts, moulds and fabric and paper flowers.
The Start of the Card
After finishing this art journal spread, I wanted to see if I could make a card that mimicked the process and materials. I had decided to make two more cards for forthcoming birthdays, this time using the same paper, my favourite paper from the Prima Georgia Blues Collection (I was running low at this stage but luckily I was able to find more) but after I cut one piece of my precious paper I decided not to cut a piece for the second card because I was running low, and then I remembered this Monochrome washi tape from Altenew – it has a very similar feel don’t you think? So I decided to make two cards, one with the paper background and one with the washi tape background and see what happened – perhaps one could be a Prima card and one could be an Altenew card? This post is about the card on the left hand side.
I stuck the washi tape onto some plain white card cut to size. Then I applied paper texture paste through a stencil and onto the backgrounds. One the left, I used an Altenew stencil called Deco Wallpaper, and on the right I used the Swirly Florals stencil from Prima/Finnabair.
Unfortunately I seem to have lost a block of photos I took so I have no more to show what happened between this and the end which is very frustrating for me. I used liquid acrylics on both cards, the one on the left, blues and magenta which you will see in the finished photo. You can see a similar process in the art journal version. I distressed the edges of the cards with a paper distresser and edged them in Distress Archival in Black Soot.
I decided to keep going with the card construction so as before I am using a piece of card that measures 11 x 5.5 inches, scored in half and scored again at 2.75 and folded concertina style. I then made a matching journal card sized piece for the inside – this is what will be used to prop the card up when it is open, so it will stand up and not fall over. I find this is enough to hold the card in place and you can see this in the finished photo.
I did some random stamping on the background using mostly small butterfly stamps and sentiments from Finnabair stamps, then I added the obligatory splatters in black and white. I have these fabric flowers that I dislike the colour of and so I decided to paint them using the same liquid acrylics as the background. I got a little carried away doing this as it was such a fun thing to do and ended up painting about 100 flowers in multiple colours! I’m so disappointed to have lost the photos of these flowers and this process. For a previous project I had diecut some leaves from gold glitter cardstock and didn’t end up using them so I thought I could apply them to these cards but I wasn’t happy with the colours together, so I flipped them over and coloured them with the blue liquid acrylic paint. and began to build up my floral arrangement on the front of the card, using some of the magenta and blue painted flowers and some smaller white paper flowers from Prima. I used a moulded butterfly made from hot glue and painted with Metallique Unicorn Hair paint and also for the flower centres, and finally added the WISH letters diecut from Tim Holtz Society Bigz XL die, in white card with a deep black outline around them.
The Same But Different
And here are the two finished cards side by side. The same but different. Process, materials, diecuts, stamps are mostly the same, but the base layers and colours are different. Read about the other card in this post.
Paper Texture Paste
Deco Wallpaper Stencil
Metalliques – Unicorn Hair
Liquid Acrylics – blue, magenta
Tuxedo Black Memento Marker
Distress Archival Ink – Black Soot
Black and White paint splatters
White cardstock for card base
Flowers from stash
Tim Holtz Society Bigz Die
Altenew Monochrome Washi Tape