Happy Roald Dahl Day!
Roald Dahl was born on this day, in 1916 and so we celebrate his birthday today! I’ve been a fan for a long time, both as a child and an adult.
Fun Facts about Roald Dahl:
– he created more than 500 new words for his own language which he called Gobblefunk
– Willie Wonka’s chocolate factory is inspired by the original Cadbury chocolate factory. Cadbury used to do taste-tests at his primary school. I used to have a friend who worked at Cadbury and they also did taste-tests on their staff – what a dream job eh?
– he worked for British Intelligence during WWII along with another famous author, Ian Fleming!
– his parents were Norwegian and named him after the famous Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.
– he wrote over 30 novels and dozens of screenplays including the screenplay for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
– when he died, aged 74, he was buried with chocolates, some very good burgundy, his snooker cues, HB pencils, and a power saw to cover all eventualities!
One of his books has featured in my art recently, choosing it as one of my all-time favourites, can you guess which one?
Maybe this will help…
Ideas to celebrate Roald Dahl Day:
1. Reread your favourites!
2. Watch a favourite film adaptation – I recommend The Witches with Angelica Huston!
3. Create a Roald Dahl inspired art journal page!
My older copies of the books look like this one above, also seen below on the right, but I couldn’t resist this boxed set a few years ago.
It had so many of my favourites in it! Which is yours?
Let me know in the comments. As always, thanks for reading!Ingredients
Blog Along with Effy – Day 13
Links to all the days of the September blog-along
Sept 1st – UFOs Tapestry Cushion and Harris Tweed TBD
Sept 2nd – Second on the Second – e-reader covers
Sept 3rd – There is no enjoyment like reading
Sept 4th – A Day in the Garden and UFO update
Sept 5th – Begin the Beguine
Sept 6th – She Sells Seashells on the Seashore
Sept 7th – Vintage Children Doing Vintage Things
Sept 8th – WOYWW Desk, Garden, Kitties, Kitchen and Blog Along One Week In
Sept 9th – August Reading List
Sept 10th – Sorry Not Sorry
Sept 11th – A Peek Inside the Fabric Stash
Sept 12th – Garden Catch-up, Bees, Cats, and Cat Mint
Sept 13th – this post
This month I decided to join in with Effy Wild’s blog-along – 30 posts in 30 days same as we did in April this year. The idea is to blog every day if you can, but also to comment on other people’s blogs to keep the conversation going. There is a facebook group where you can link your posts and find other people’s to go visit and comment.